Latest news in enterprise data protection and governance
Druva Adds New Data Governance and IT-Managed File Sharing Features to inSync Endpoint Data Protection Platform
SUNNYVALE, CA – June 19, 2013: Druva today announced the addition of new data governance and IT-managed file sharing features to its inSync endpoint data protection platform to improve enterprise control over data residing on laptops, tablets and smartphones. The upgrades are part of more than 70 enhancements to inSync – an integrated suite of data backup, file sharing, data loss prevention and analytics solutions designed to protect and govern data on any mix of endpoint devices – that also include new tools for simplifying OS migration, ensuring high availability and expediting mass deployments.
New inSync data governance features include an admin audit trail that joins an existing end user activity log, providing 360° visibility into all inSync operations. New file sharing controls increase security by making it possible to impose limits on shared file access. With these abilities, enterprises that utilize inSync to manage and protect endpoint data can now:
- Track the movement of all endpoint data across devices and users, making inSync the authoritative source for how endpoint data is used and by whom, in order to meet compliance, forensic and e-discovery needs
- Trace all inSync end user activities including remote file retrieval, file sharing, data and/or settings restore, device backup history and more
- Track all inSync administrator activities such as policy configuration errors, password resets, sensitive data access, file sharing permission changes, remote erasure of data on a stolen laptop, disabling of inSync’s encryption capability and more
- Set administrator- or user-defined limits on any shared file, including the number of viewers, number of downloads, and the length of time the file is available for retrieval
- Restrict any shared file to view-only, allowing the document to display in-browser using the inSync document viewer but preventing downloads to reduce the risk of data leakage
- Search across devices and filter data activities by type and role for easy problem resolution, trend analysis, regulatory compliance efforts and data leak investigations
These upgrades reflect ongoing concern over data breaches caused by insiders. A recent Ponemon Institute survey reported that 69% of companies that have experienced serious data security breaches attribute those leaks to either malicious employee actions or non-malicious employee error. A separate analysis of insider data breaches by the CERT Insider Threat Center at Carnegie Mellon’s Software Engineering Institute determined that 86% of the insiders who commit IT sabotage hold technical positions, and 90% have administrator or privileged access at their organization.
“With 30% of corporate data now residing exclusively on end user devices, it is critical that enterprises be able to monitor who is accessing that data, how it’s being shared, how administrators are managing it, and who is sharing what files with whom,” said Jaspreet Singh, CEO of Druva. “These enhancements to our inSync platform provide a complete record of an organization’s endpoint data activities as well as tightening controls over file sharing, facilitating both internal and external audits to ensure security, governance and policy enforcement.”
Other new features in the just-released inSync 5.2 edition include:
- Persona Backup, an industry-first capability enabling system and application settings to be saved and restored with a click by end users themselves for easy OS, device and hardware platform migration (laptop to laptop, laptop to tablet, Windows to Mac, etc.) – as well as rebuilds of damaged hardware and replacement of lost or stolen devices
- High availability for inSync’s Private Cloud infrastructure, allowing companies to backup to an additional storage destination and have data backup and restore automatically fail over to the secondary storage in case of a disaster
- 75% faster mass deployment via enhanced Active Directory integration that eliminates the need for custom scripts
More information on the latest inSync upgrades is available at https://www.druva.com/insync/5-2/
Druva provides integrated data protection and governance solutions for enterprise laptops, PCs, smartphones and tablets. Its flagship product, inSync, empowers an enterprise's mobile workforce with backup, IT-managed file sharing, data loss prevention, and rich analytics. Deployed in public or private cloud scenarios or on-premise, inSync is the only solution built with both IT needs and end-user experiences in mind. Druva has over 1,500 customers and protects one million endpoints across 46 countries. With offices in the United States, India and the United Kingdom, Druva is privately held and is backed by Nexus Venture Partners and Sequoia Capital. Information on Druva is available at www.druva.com.